Thursday, May 10, 2012

REPOST: Dear Harry Baliaga (Edita Burgos writes letter to her son's abductor)


April 28, 2011
Maj. Harry Baliaga Jr.
Philippine Army


Dear Mr. Baliaga,

Yes, I address you as “dear” because I look at you as a son of my Father. And since we have one father, then you are my brother.

I write because I know–for many reasons, security being the foremost---that the chances are remote that we will be able to meet and talk one-on-one.

I am not afraid to face you. Truth is, I would really want to look at your eyes as I ask you, “Where is my son? What have you done to him?” I want to see if the look you give me will deny or affirm your answer.

I write because, always, I live by what was taught me, that all must be given a chance to go back to Our Father if we have offended Him. Surely, logic tells me that you, in taking my son on that day, April 28, 2007 while he was having lunch, would not have acted on your own. Isn't that how your system works? A superior orders his subordinates and a good soldier follows the order even if it 
is against the highest principle of life and freedom.

Tell me now...now that there is a chance that soon you will be behind bars...do you still see following orders in the same perspective?

I offer you this chance to redress this violation of a God-given right to be free.

Tell me, who has ordered you to get my Jonas? Give those who ordered him taken the chance to correct their ways.

Harry, listen to the innermost voice of your heart and correct the wrong done to this mother. Tell me where I can find my son. Do not wait when it is too late, when the consequences of an evil act will have been felt not only by you but by the next generations, for did He not promise “the sins of the father will be visited upon the heads of his children.”

I pray that you would take this opportunity to reflect and reveal the truth. The Lord in His Mercy calls all of us sinners back to Him. He will receive us with His fatherly love if we repent.
On Sunday, the feast of the Divine Mercy, I shall pray that you will be enlightened to tell the truth so that I can finally find Jonas.

May the Holy Spirit fill your heart and the hearts of the perpetrators of human rights violations. May you all be led to amend your ways. Lord have mercy on them. Lord have mercy on you.

Your Sister in Christ, Edita T. Burgos




note: The letter was written after the investigation of the CHR identified Lt. Harry Baliaga Jr. as one of the abductors of Jonas Burgos.


No comments: